Focus and Scope
IDEN Journal is a peer reviewed academic journal and design magazine currently edited by Berto Pandolfo (UTS) and Miles Park (UNSW). It represents the Industrial Designers Education Network and gives Industrial Design educators in our geographical region a platform to share emergent industrial design research, education, practice and projects.
IDEN Journal aims to fill a position between scholarly academic journals and that of professional design magazines aimed at a more general readership. Each issue focuses on a particular theme deemed to be of interest to the readership on matters related to design and design education.
A new designer is appointed for the graphic design of each edition. Rather than a common design theme that links each edition, each issue is distinct in its design language and physical presentation. The appointed graphic designer is given an open brief to present the prepared content, both physically and digitally, in a manner that is engaging, coherent and supportive. Moreover, the designer is encouraged to explore the design of the journal as a physical (product) artefact.
Peer Review Process
All submitted papers are read by the editorial team to first determine their relevance to the theme of the upcoming issue of the journal.
Papers judged to be of interest to our readership are issued to a minimum of two reviewers for blind peer review. Peer reviewers are drawn from as register of Australasian Industrial Design academics.
Papers are assessed on (i) Relevance (ii) Originality (iii) Overall quality, and (iv) Interest to Journal readers. Reviewers are requested to supply written comments using the Peer_Review_Comments IDEN form.
Based upon the advice of the reviewers to either, accept, with or without editorial revisions or reject papers, a final decision is made by the editors. All correspondence with reviewers and authors remains confidential.
Submission of papers
1. Papers to be double blind peer reviewed
2. Papers should be supplied in an editable electronic format and limited to approximately 3000 words.
3. Authors are encouraged to include images, drawings, diagrams and charts to illustrate their text.
4. The Harvard referencing system is required
5. IDEN will publish a limited number of double blind peer reviewed papers. The editorial committee will determine the final number of published papers.
Open access policy
Each issue of IDEN is freely available on multiple digital platforms to support free and open exchange or research and ideas. Additionally, limited printed editions, of each issue, are made available for IDEN members, library collections and by special request.
ISSN 2200-6834 (Print)
ISSN 2200-9604 (Online)
IDEN is published annually and issues are numbered sequentially.
Authors publishing their work in IDEN agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work on the condition that acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process.